Wednesday, August 19, 2009

+Memory eternal to Myrtle Palo

Last night at 10 pm, PDT, my grandmother, Myrtle Palo reposed. She was 87 years old and just had a birthday a week and a half prior.

This has been a difficult year for me. It seemed like only yesterday that I heard the news that my grandfather, Christian, had fallen asleep. I went to his funeral and carried his casket which was then lowered into the earth whence he came. Now, I've lost my grandmother, my dad's mom.

I must confess that I wasn't as close with my grandmother as I was with my mom's side of the family. I don't know why such was the case, but I suppose a lot of it had to do with the fact that my grandmother lived in California which wasn't exactly the easiest place to drive with three kids nor the cheapest to fly. But what I do know about my grandmother is that she was full of life. She loved travelling and she liked gambling. In short, she liked to have fun. I know that she was not particularly happy this past year with all the medical problems she was having which prevented her from doing what she loved to do most.

My phone conversations with her, which were limited mainly to birthdays and holidays, were always pleasant and she always wanted to know what was going on with me. There was no doubt that she cared; I wonder if I cared as much. And, if such were the case, I don't have any further opportunities to make it up. And I suppose I will have to carry the guilt of not having done enough for awhile. Maybe I can use that as a springboard to really cultivate the relationship I have with my only remaining grandparent, my Oma, Magdalena.

Nevertheless, on birthdays, on Thanksgiving and on Christmas, there will be more absence without hearing her voice. Memory eternal!

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord and let light perpetual shine upon her. A hymn befits thee in Sion and a hymn shall be repaid to thee in Jerusalem. Hear my prayer, O God: All flesh shall come unto Thee.

No comments: